The 2010 Edition of the FGI Guidelines
For information about how the FGI Guidelines is developed, click "Revisions" in the bar above. For a history of the Guidelines document, read the Preface to the 2010 edition. For broad information about changes and new material in the 2010 edition, see the press release announcing publication. For detailed information about changes and new material, download the Major Additions and Revisions essay below.
An errata sheet with corrections to the 2010 edition, including corrected cross-references, is available; it will be updated as necessary. (Last updated: January 3, 2014)
Addenda to ASHRAE 170: Ventilation of Health Care Facilities
The 2008 edition of ANSI/ASHRAE/ASHE 170 was incorporated into the 2010 edition of the FGI Guidelines. ASHRAE has placed Standard 170 under its continuous maintenance process, which means adjustments can be made to it between publication dates. These changes go through the same rigorous review process as the originally published material, and it is the intention of the Health Guidelines Revision Committee that these addenda be considered a part of the 2010 FGI Guidelines. Addenda that have received final approval and are posted on the ASHRAE website are reposted here for your convenience:
- Addendum a: Design temperature for NICU, and other changes
- Addendum b: Updates to design parameters for critical care, laboratories, and endoscopy; addition of design parameters for intermediate care; and other changes
- Addendum d: Humidity levels in short-stay patient areas, including operating rooms
- Addendum e: Meaning of "occupied space" and other changes
- Addendum f: Requirements for AII and PE rooms and a combined AII/PE room
- Addendum g: Application of ventilation diffusers
- Addendum h: Use of recirculating HVAC units
- Addenda j, q, and t: Filtration requirements for nursing homes; amendments to text on outdoor air intakes, etc.; and update to Guidelines publisher information
- Addenda k, n, and v: Energy recovery requirements, outside air quantity calculation methods, and minimum relative humidity requirements for recovery rooms
- Addendum l: Airflow requirements for cesarean delivery rooms and operating rooms; ventilation requirements for dialysis treatment area and reprocessing room and for nuclear medicine treatment room and hot lab
- Addendum m: Clarification of requirement for fully ducted exhaust systems rather than fully ducted return systems for some negative pressure spaces; requirement for fully ducted systems added to four spaces
- Addendum p: Requirements for nourishment stations
- Addendum r: Changes to clarify the 170 text and coordinate it with the 2010 FGI Guidelines
- Addendum s: Further changes to clarify the 170 text and coordinate with the 2010 FGI Guidelines
- Addenda u and w: Change in Table 7-1 for bathing room in nursing homes, clarification of footnotes in Table 7-1 regarding requirement for all room air to be exhausted directly to outdoors, and changes in pressure relationship and relative humidity for gastrointestinal endoscopy procedure rooms
- Addenda x, z, and ab: Addition of filter efficiencies for resident care spaces and ventilation design parameters for resident unit corridors and emergency department exam/treatment rooms, reduction of minimum air changes per hour for patient rooms
- Addendum ac: Addition to Section 6.7.1 of statement requiring ducted systems for return and exhaust air in patient care areas in inpatient facilities
How to Order the 2010 FGI Guidelines
The 2010 FGI Guidelines is available in two formats, each sold for the same price—$168. Shipping costs are shown on the order form (link below). The distributor can answer questions about placing an order and shipping fees; please call the 800 number below.
To make sure you receive the format you want, please be sure to use the correct catalog number when ordering. The CD comes with a single-user license. For information about how the CD can be used, read the user license. For further explanation about CD use, visit the FAQs (frequently asked questions) page.
1. The order form can also be used to fax an order to the distributor.
2. Information for placing a foreign order can be found on the order form.
A Read-Only Copy
The Facility Guidelines Institute has made available a read-only copy of the 2010 edition of the Guidelines. To keep this feature free for all users, we ask that you create an account to access the document. Hosted by ePaperFlip, this digital copy cannot be downloaded or printed; however, it is searchable and offers a number of features to improve your browsing experience. Please note: To create an account, or to log in once you have an account, please click the "read-only copy" link above.